Our wonderful territory

Farfa Abbey

The Abbey of Farfa is a particularly attractive place, filled with peace, serenity and simplicity, as the Benedictine monks who live are simple. It was founded in the Middle Ages. Charlemagne, a few weeks before being crowned in St. Peter’s on December 25, 800, visited the abbey and stayed there. To understand the economic importance of Farfa it is sufficient to think that in the third decade of the ninth century, under the abbot Ingoaldo, it owned a commercial ship exempt from the duties of the Carolingian Empire ports.
It was declared a national monument in 1928, due to the architectural and artistic beauty of the monastery and the basilica, testimony of a more than millennial history between periods of great splendor and periods of decadence or even destruction and dispersion, always followed by rebirths and reconstructions, yes that even today the abbey is a center of culture and spirituality.

Fara in Sabina

Fara in Sabina, located on a hill 482 meters high, in the heart of the homonymous region, is a Lazio village of probable Lombard origins (end of the 6th century). Surrounded by green olive groves, Fara in Sabina contains in its vast territory truly exceptional historical, artistic and naturalistic testimonies.
In Fara in Sabina the Archaeological Museum of the Baronial Palace is certainly worth a visit. The historic center, on the other hand, at times in a state of decay, still preserves characteristic and rather picturesque corners. In addition, the village is enriched with some churches such as the Collegiate Church of Sant’Antonio of the sixteenth century and the Church of San Giacomo of 1619. Finally, to remember, the Clarisse Eremite Monastery, built in the seventeenth century on the ruins of the castle, still a cloistered convent . Among the historic buildings we can mention the Palazzo Orsini dating back to the 15th century, the Palazzo Farnese of 1585 and the Palazzo Foschi, which later passed under the Manfredi family, built in the 15th century.
But Fara in Sabina is above all an extraordinary lookout: the views over the Roman countryside, the Soratte and the Tiber Valley and those over the green Valle del Farfa are beautiful. From Fara it is advisable to hike to the suggestive and romantic ruins of the Abbey of San Martino, which lie, clearly visible, on the top of Mount Acuziano, the barren, stony and desolate high ground that dominates the town.

Tancia mountain

Tancia mountain, 1,292 m., Is the highest peak of the Sabini mountains, in Lazio, in the province of Rieti, in the municipality of Monte San Giovanni in Sabina. At Monte Tancia there is the cave of S. Michele, which is traditionally considered a place of Sabine worship. Here was preserved a stalagmite modeled on a female figure, 44 cm high, which is believed to represent the goddess Vacuna, unfortunately stolen. The identification with Vacuna, water divinity, is confirmed by the presence on the Monte Tancia of many springs. According to the Firmani instead the image carved on the stalagmite would represent “the Mother Goddess, enthroned and with the arms to the breast, according to the known scheme of a great number of prehistoric feminine representations, interpreted rightly as idols of fertility and fertility” [ 1]. The town appears to have been frequented already during the Middle Bronze Age, as shown by an extensive settlement found in the Rocca di Tancia locality, which was arranged on “three orders of small terraces artificially regularized with a sort of dry stone walls”. Not far away, in the S. Sebastiano locality, another settlement of the middle Bronze age came to light, less extensive than the previous one. Of all the protohistoric settlements “of the high ground” of Sabina, that of the Monte Tancia is the highest (802 meters). This suggests that the site was connected with a transhumance itinerary and perhaps corresponds to a summer pasture location. Surely it was connected to the nearby place of worship in the cave. Today there is the Sanctuary of San Michele Arcangelo. According to manuscripts preserved in the Vallicellian library of Rome, the cave was consecrated by Pope Sylvester I after having witnessed the miracle with which the Archangel Michael would have chased away the dragon, perhaps an allegory of paganism, in the deepest part of the cave. Inside the grotto-sanctuary you can see fifteenth-century frescoes, an altar to a ciborium: in the center of the latter is an Agnus Dei with some saints on the sides.

Millennial olive tree: the largest olive tree in Europe!

The Olive of Canneto Sabino is the living testimony of the millennial vocation of Sabina to the production of olive oil. Legend has it that it was even planted by Sabino Numa Pompilio, King of Rome from 673 BC. until 715 BC In fact, for this majestic specimen of Olivastrone, the most reasonable estimate seems to date the plant to about a millennium of age, placing the plantation in the large land reclamation campaign in the Canneto areas. It was thought, indeed, the Benedictine monks of Farfa, who just around the year 1000, placed a garrison in the area, of which today remains traces in the Tanteri house and in the adjacent chapel of the Madonna della Neve, also planting the imposing tree .

The oil mills

In the Sabina area, Sabina Dop oil is produced, an ancient extra virgin olive oil obtained from the varieties of Carboncella, Leccino, Raja, Frantoio, Olivastrone, Moraiolo, Olivago, Salviana and Rosciola olives. Sabina Dop oil has a golden yellow color with green reflections, its flavor is aromatic and the maximum acidity is equal to 0.60%.